“What does the world ~ mean to you?”
Have you ever seen the movie, Pay it Forward? Minus the ending, which can absolutely rip anyone’s heart out ~ it is a beautiful movie based on a beautiful premise … a movement to make the world a better place. If one person helps 3 people or makes a difference in 3 people’s lives, then they help 3 people, and they help 3 people … you get the picture. If you complete acts of kindness in multiples of three – gratitude, giving and gladness – you will receive an inner gift, the important kind. Now imagine the impact on our communities, in our states, in our countries on the mighty power of 3?
The use of the internet as a source of information is quick, it’s easy ~ and it is inspiring. There is so much good being done, and so much work to be done. I’ve been doing some searches on YouTube for everyday people making a difference in the lives of others. It gives me the glimmer of hope that better days are ahead. Pick an idea – there are literally thousands, and make a difference this year.
Off the top of my head, I’d suggest to call:
- Literacy Organizations – become a literacy volunteer
- Ronald McDonald Houses – become a room volunteer or volunteer to provide food to families
- Become involved in those organizations that directly impact other people’s lives, in their darkest days – American Cancer Society, Alzheimer’s Association, American Heart Association, this list, is endless …
- Your local government office – find out about a community clean-up, or food drive. If they don’t have one already, plan one!
- Regional Food Banks – can always use help with sorting and boxing
- Big Brothers/Big Sisters – think of the impact you have the ability to make on a young person’s life
Kiss Hershey Back
Philadelphia Clean-up Project
Calgary’s Food Drive, 2006 – 7,000 volunteers collected $670K worth of food
Green Island’s Food Drive, 2010
Quilting for a Cause – Hugs for Heros, making quilts for injured heroes